OBSERVE RAMADAN AND LOSE WEIGHT - WIN/WIN!
The Health Benefits Of Fasting
There are many health benefits to fasting. For one it gives your digestive system a break. This in itself can promote cleansing and detoxification of the body. Over indulgence in food causes tremendous strain on the body systems. Fasting frees up energy so that healing can begin.
Some studies suggest that intermittent fasting can actually lower your risk of cancers such as bowel cancer, and reduce cholesterol.
However perhaps one of the biggest benefits to fasting is that it can promote weight loss. So much so that intermittent fasting diets have sprung up and become popularized around the world.
Similarities Between Fasting At Ramadan And Intermittent Fasting Diets
While it is not recommended to fast all of the time, science is recognising the important role that intermittent fasting has in weight loss. The fasting you undertake at Ramadan can work on your body and aid weight loss in the same ways that intermittent fasting diets do!
If you follow the tips below you can also experience the benefits of detox and weight loss while you observe the religious tradition of Ramadan.
3 Ways In Which Ramadan Aids Weight Loss
1. Fasting helps to eliminate toxins from your body.
Toxins that accumulate are stored in fat and actually encourage the body to ‘hold on’ to those fat reserves, thus sabotaging any attempts to lose weight. That is why detoxification is such an important factor in successful weight loss.
2. Reduce Calorie Intake.
When you fast you reduce the amount of calories you are consuming during that time peri-od. Therefore, as long as you don’t over indulge when you end your fast, you will reduce the overall amount of calories consumed, leading to weight loss.
3. Reduced Carb Intake = Fat Burn.
When we eat all the time our bodies utilise carbohydrates and sugar as the primary energy source. This means that stored body fat, which is a secondary energy source, never gets used! This is why high protein diets, like The Atkins Diet, can be good for weight loss (alt-hough dubious for overall health), because they severely restrict carbohydrate intake thus forcing the body to use fat as it’s energy supply. Fasting achieves the same result.
Tips To Stay Healthy And Promote Weight Loss While Fasting
- Make sure that you get up in the morning in plenty of time to eat something before the sun comes up! Otherwise your body may not receive enough fuel, and as the day goes on your may experience severe energy slumps and dizziness.
- Drink plenty of water first thing in the morning so that your body is hydrated for the day ahead, especially when it’s hot weather!
- Eat a mixture of complex carbohydrates and protein to stabilise your blood sugar and en-sure a slow, steady release of energy throughout the day. This can include things like whole grains, wholemeal toast, good quality proteins such as halal meat and fish, beans, nuts and even a little cheese.
- It’s good to include a little healthy fat such as Avocado or oily fish, as this will provide much needed calories during Ramadan and can also slow down the release of sugar from your food into the blood.
- Make sure you get plenty of fibre from fresh fruit and vegetables to help keep you regular during Ramadan.
- Avoid the temptation to pig out on very sugary and fatty foods as soon as the sun goes down. This can be challenging when you are hungry, however if you do you will sabotage any weight loss. Worse still is that you will create a peak in your blood sugar, which will later crash and leave you feeling really hungry during your next period of fasting. Instead of binging eat sensibly following the guidelines above.
- Why not start your day with a hot water and lemon juice drink? This will give a sluggish digestive system a kickstart and aid detox.
- Drink plenty of water before you go to bed, although allow a period of at least half an hour between eating your meal and drinking water to allow your food to digest properly.
Need A Helping Hand With Your Diet?
Try these Dubai based Nutritionists for help with your diet and losing weight:
Author: Julie Ritchie
Author Bio: Julie is a Nutrition Souq Fitness Champion Editor. She is a qualified Personal Trainer who spent many years teaching Zumba, Fitness Pilates, Pole Fitness and offering weight loss coaching. She is a fan of the natural approach to fitness and enjoys exercising and eating for pleasure and health.